Thursday, April 1, 2010

How to be a woman

I finished another little home design project yesterday and thought it was too cute not to share. Back in 2001/2002 a lovely colleague of mine bought me this tea-towel for my birthday. It was very much a tongue-in-cheek gift as the man in question was much older and wiser than most of the 20-somethings working with him. (In fact he was once the Australian Ambassador to Iraq!) It was especially funny as we were doing a very complex and certainly not feminine job at the time. It was a wonderful guy and I hope he and his family are doing really well these days.

So I've carried this tea-towel around for nearly 10 years, just waiting to frame it up and find it a home. It now has one in our laundry, so I can smile and remember that I'm more than just a housewife when I'm washing our clothes and cleaning our mess.

Here are couple of extracts for your reading pleasure. Bear in mind that the towel is a copy of an article published on April 2, 1953.

 How to be a woman
'Don't talk about politics, economics or your theories of relativity. Stick to small talk. Act dumb. Whatever men tell you, they never think a woman is feminine if she shows her brains.'

'Let him (your husband) make the decisions. You married him didn't you? Well, trust him!'

And my personal favourite:
'Smile rather than laugh. Deep laughter is for men only. Japanese style giggling is worth trying.'

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I must practice my Japanese-style tittering... hee hee hee hee!

Lorna said...

That is brilliant and what a good idea to have something like that in your laundry room. 'Act dumb' eh! That's why my husband always claims he can't remember how to put on the washing machinge!! He must have read it and decided to adopt it for himself :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails